countdown

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Wednesday, April 15, 2009

wedding semantics

ashley says: "why do you think its called an engagement? the word engage always makes me think of sci-fi movies as in 'engage the hyperspeed!' 'hyperspeed engaged!' "

to this, i had no answer. google & wikipedia failed me (which is surely a sign of the apocolypse). the definition of the word didn't shed much light, either. although i'm sure michael would agree with "a hostile encounter between opposing forces." a search prompted by ashley for word derivatives was likewise mind-boggling.

so i ask you this: why do YOU think it's called an engagement?

7 comments:

Caton said...

i tried to come up with something clever but I am at a loss...what a rare occassion.

Anonymous said...

Since you and Michael are going totally non traditional, maybe you should come up with your own word for the time between marriage proposal and actual marriage vows???? I can guess what Michael might say, probably not good. But you are creative Molly.....
Don't know how to sign up for this thing so am putting anonymous, but it is really me, LouAnn

Anonymous said...

Per Merriam-Webster's dictionary:
definition 3c. Betrothal

Definition of Betrothal: a mutual promise or contract for a future marriage.

Once again, the maid of honor saves the day! Love you and you're welcome! Krissy

Molly and Molly said...

but krissy, *why* is a "mutual promise or contract for a future marriage" named 'engagement'?

Anonymous said...

Apparently I have to spell it out for you :) People call it an engagement because it means the same as betrothal and no one is lame enough to use that word anymore. I say you put together some letters and vowels and make your own word. Krissy

Ashley Skelnik said...

I was all geared up to make up an amazing word, but it seems that Blogspot did it for me. To post this comment, I have to type in a crazy arrangement of letters in the right order, etc. The word? "Broppin". It sound like a verb, though...

Broppin - verb; what one does between proposal and wedding when related specifically to Molly Wiedel and Michael Till.
Example: Molly is broppin until October 3rd.

What do you think?! :)

Anonymous said...

I think broppin is the perfect word for Michael and Molly's engagement, it fits perfectly!

LouAnn/Michael's mom